Music for the Masses


Friday, November 30, 2007

Love and Death, pt 3

Now . . . having said all that, I thought that I would make a good-will gesture to my team and show them that I *will* be there for them. I expect them to be team players; I can't do that if I'm not a team player.

Problem: today was my youngest cousin's wedding. My wife and I were invited to attend the sealing, wedding breakfast, and the reception tonight. After the lambasting I took on Tuesday, I felt that it would be better for me to stay with my team and be there for them.

I'm not sure I've *ever* been more wrong.

See . . . as the day progressed and it got closer to 10:30, I realized that work was the last place I wanted to be. I looked around at all these people that aren't as important to me and thought, "My family is 60 miles up the road at a wedding, and I'm stuck here because I made a *really* bad choice." At 11:00 am, I was as grumpy and mad at myself as I think I'd ever been.

Later in the day, as I talked with my branch lead, he asked why I had come in. I told him, and he said that was admirable, but then he asked if I'm going to regret the decision. "For the rest of my life, Barry. For the rest of my life, I'll always think of today--where I chose work over family. I feel sick to my stomach."

Of course, I really was sick in the physical sense. I have this tickle in my throat that produces this incredibly unproductive cough, all the while destroying muscle tissue and nerves spanning my entire back and neck. I cough so hard that I almost black out. Everyone at work yesterday was saying, "Dude . . . go home. You look like . . . . . ." I think you can guess the last word.

Part 4 is on deck!

1 comment:

happy mom said...

you make me laugh, although I am not sure that is what you were going for.

Are you feeling better yet? I really hope so, and I need you guys to call me. or Brian, but I will try you in the morning anyway. but if I don't get you, call me.

sorry about the work stuff, I didn't really know about that. it sucks and well it just sucks!